Friday, September 6, 2013

Weather Diary - Day 13 (Saturday April 1 2006 Partly Cloudy 74F)

'On Weather'

I have been here, on Ocracoke Island, North Carolina for nearly two weeks. It is the first of April, and we have moved from spring to summer. Perhaps not summer by the calendar, but trees are fully leafed out, flowers in bloom, the air full of insects and birds and sweet scents, the sea, warm(er).
It all has an island feel.
And if I view all from above,
I see the island, the cottage roof, the green marshy sound-side shore, the wide open Atlantic-facing beach, entirely, (as Piglet might say), surrounded by water.

I am here, witnessing the changing weather. I could sit for hours on my west facing screened porch, and watch the clouds move from mainland North Carolina, across the Pamlico Sound, and over the island, where (though out of my sight), they march either up the coast of out to sea.

I am fully entrenched in my daily routine, my artwork, my spiritual reading, my sea study. I carry on with my early morning ritual, beginning at 5 a.m. I work through the day at a pace which suits me, with lots of time devoted to art and study, food, walks, rest.
I have happily become part of the rhythm of the island.

But from Day One, I have begun to flag when the sun sets. In this way, Chester and I are very similar. We have no interest in exerting ourselves after the sun goes down.
On Day One, a (relatively rare) moment of brilliance strikes me.

I will do one simple drawing every evening.

To facilitate this, I do all of the prep work at the end of my afternoon art session.
Before our long long walk on the beach, before my time of sea study, I do what I need to do to bring my simple evening drawing about.
  • Clear my work space.
  • Open a 14" x 17" pad of 110 lb. acid free paper.
  • Measure out  a 10" x 10" square with graphite pencil.
  • Apply masking tape around the outside of the square.
  • Lay out my tools: oil pastels, pencils, eraser, ruler, scraper, knife.
All is ready.

And this is how it goes from Day One.
Long long afternoon walk, sea study, supper prep, beer, supper, followed by one 10" x10" drawing done each day.
This day is my thirteenth evening drawing. I draw, and as I draw, I recall my day.
Weather, colours, moods, ideas, readings, all part of what comes through me and onto the paper.
I draw.
I don't over-think it. I just draw.
When I am satisfied, after scribbling, blending, scraping, reworking, I carefully peel away the masking tape border. Not only the most fun part, this peeling is deeply satisfying. I see what is basically a drawing of layered scribbles become sharp edged and defined.
I date it, give a weather report, (courtesy of the Virginian-Pilot), say where I am, and sign it.

And the result is - 'Weather Diary' (Day 13)

The sun has set, the sky darkened except for an orange line on the horizon.  A gentle breeze still holds the warmth of the day. The weather report calls for sun and 71F.
Welcome April.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Weather Diary